Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Jeff Buckley

May 29, 1997
Memphis, Tennessee
Jeff Buckley drowned while singing "Whole Lotta Love" in the Wolf River.

If you guys think I have it bad for Jeremy Enigk, you have no idea the depths of my love for Jeff Buckley. I listened to him straight, as in no other music at all, for three years. Yeah, I get that I come off sounding like a total psycho when I say that, but when have I ever cared about that? It was the right music at the time. Hit that emotional chord just so. I still love him. Can't believe that his library is so finite.

I was talking about the idea of knowing the other day (I say talking and I get that all this has been written, but I imagine you are hearing me say this to you rather than just reading it... actually, I wish I could voice record these things...), and here's what I've always wondered. Let me know if I'm not alone. Have you ever paid attention to the lyrics in "So Real"? "And I couldn't awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under." I think about this line and I wonder if he had an inkling of his death. A premonition. An idea. A feeling.

I could be totally reading into things, sure. But...

Listening to: Jeff Buckley "Sketches For My Sweetheart the Drunk" part 1

xo. kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment