Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When the ending feels wrong but is right.

It has been one hideous week, but I have finished the first draft of LET IT POUR. I will tell you this- I didn't think I would be able to do it. It's one of those, you know where the book should go, but you don't want it to go there. So I fought and fought with myself and tried to think of a way out of it. I agonized on the elliptical. Fretted on my run. Folded clothes with a face of pure concentration, and my head anywhere but at work. Actually felt movement in my skull, the turning of heavy gears. But when your lyric inspiration is, "Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone" then, really, there's only one place to go. So I wrote the end that belonged with this book and I love and hate it.

Here's the thing, though. That's life. For real. It's not happy endings or even sad endings or even endings at all. It goes on. And I know that's not always the point of fiction (I've said this before), but it's the point of my writing. We have ups and downs and they can crush us or we can handle them and move forward. Even when we hate our path. I like to see that my MCs can stand tall. It proves to me that I can too.

I'm not sure if that makes me less marketable, but I'm pretty sure it means I'll never be welcomed into RWA. Well boo. I really wanted to go to that conference in NYC.

Listening to: Foals- Daytrotter Sessions
BTW- If you aren't familiar with Daytrotter, do yourself a favor and check it out. Amazing artists, amazing music, amazing concept. Also, the app is free for the iPhone.

All the best,
David Bowie

(Just kidding. It's really an xo. kb. But I saw that on the horrible, can't-even-call-it-a-film, BANDSLAM and thought it hilarious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment