Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Capitol citizens.

I just finished reading MOCKINGJAY. Don't worry. No spoilers here. But I will be talking about THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy in concept for a moment.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the books, they take place in a future North America, destroyed by war. What's left is the country of Panem, consisting of twelve (thirteen) Districts that support the Capitol. The Districts are left impoverished, their fruits almost entirely used to support the excesses of the Capitol and its inhabitants. There's much more to the stories, but this is what I've been thinking about.

It's not a stretch to realize that author Suzanne Collins is drawing a link to our society, the Capitol a symbol for the United States, and the world around us the various Districts doing our bidding, every small rebellion an opportunity to prove our strength and might.

I think what's the most troubling to me, is the realization that I am a citizen of the Capitol. I am that person who has no idea what it's like to live in one of the Districts. My version of hardship is that I can't afford nicer clothes for my kids, that I can't enroll them in the elite gymnastics program our community offers, that I have to color my own hair instead of going to the salon. Right, there have been times where I had to pay the mortgage late, or every meal depended on my creativity and pantry items, but I always knew those were lean times and it would get better. I don't know what it's like to not have hope, to not trust that my hope has a foundation in truth.

It's so embarrassing, I have trouble feeling grateful.

I believe in sin. Not sin like lying, or adultery, or taking the Lord's name in vain, although I accept those to be bad. No, I believe that sin is those moments where you have clarity- when you see who you are in this world, the difference you could and should be making- but do nothing. Sin is the fear to be someone who makes a difference. Sin is the person who lives for the weekend, who plays the game of ignorance.

And I do. I know I do.

But I hope that I will, one day, have the courage to be something more.

Listening to: Nirvana "Unplugged"

xo.kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment