Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stewardship

First off, my period key is still broken, so punctuation will be *sigh* erratic If you don't see a period, but a word is followed by a capital letter then you know I meant one Okay? Okay

I haven't been to church in two weeks, and missing church for me feels a lot like missing a run- I feel all tense and like I'm missing something So I was very happy to be home and back in a routine and back there this morning

Every week, there is some part of the message that strikes a chord Some weeks more than others. Ooh! A period! Ooh! Another one. Yay!!!!!!

Anyway. (There it is again!)(.........)

We discussed Matthew 25, the parable of the talents, where a rich man entrusted his three servants with money. One five talents, another two talents, and the last with one talent. (A talent is a unit of weight, so we can't really translate how much money this actually was.) The servant with five talents invested and doubled his money. The same with the servant of two talents. "But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money." When the master returned, he was equally glad for the two servants who had invested in their talents. Even though one had earned much more than the other, the fact they had each put forth an effort was cause for joy. The third servant was called wicked and lazy, and was dismissed.

What's our point here? I quote my campus pastor Shawn Williams. "Everything in our lives is a gift from God. And not using them is a poverty of stewardship. Another poverty of stewardship: looking at what you have and comparing it to what others have, and feeling it to be less, to be insignificant, and allowing that to paralyze you to inactivity. It doesn't matter how much you're given, it matters what you do with what you have. There is no person who is insignificant."

I love this. My take-away here is that I do have talents that I'm under-utilizing. I've blogged about this before, but it was more in regards to my music and my writing. And I am getting better with those, am writing daily again, have written music as well, but I know those aren't my only skills.

I had an interview on Friday and the last question she asked me was, "If you could do anything, money was no object, what would it be?" I told her I wanted to do something community/customer service-based. She said, "No really, it could be anything. Don't tell me what you think I want to hear." I laughed, because it's the truth. I told her a very condensed version of my cafe idea, and admitted that interacting and connecting with other people is one of my greatest joys. And a gift that I feel I was given.

So this morning at church, we commissioned a new church. Mission Church, which will open in Roselle. We have a large group leaving the Yellow Box campus to start this church, to grow it, to build it into a community. Some of these people are small group leaders, music team members, youth leaders. Shawn asked us as a congregation to help fill their shoes. In my heart, I knew I needed to volunteer. And it freaked me out, because I never feel like I'm Christian enough to lead other people on their path, but I do know that I have gifts I need to use and will trust the Lord to help me with the rest.

xo. kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment