Thursday, July 1, 2010

Skipping Seven.

I totally stole this from my MySpace blog. I may just do that now and again, when I feel like it. Here's a little bit about Skipping Seven, the band that ties the three books together.

...I'm listening to Jane's Addiction's "Three Days" on repeat and mulling over my book characters, specifically the members of Skipping Seven, and wondering about their musical tastes and styles. I went into this quite a bit in WCP, and a tiny amount in JALR, and not at all in ATW. But I want it all in my head and I thought I'd share.

Sawyer
Sawyer plays bass. He's a lean over and into your bass kind of player. Until he writes a song with lyrics and becomes Skipping Seven's singer as well. We know about his musical likes from the posters on his wall and the CD's he plays for Eliza when she comes over. He likes Smashing Pumpkins (Gish), Primus, Pixies, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, and Jeff Buckley (this is later- he sings "Lover, You Should Have Come Over" to Eliza). I don't think I mentioned it in a book, but I'm pretty sure he's a big Fugazi fan as well. Who isn't? I've been trying to figure his style of playing. This is why I have "Three Days" in my head, and now "Then She Did." I'm pretty sure he plays like Eric Avery.

Chris
Chris... I spent a lot of time on him. Kind of in love with this character. Oh, you may know this from previous posts. Chris plays guitar- a Gibson ES or maybe a Rickenbacker 330. His heroes are David Gilmour and Johnny Marr, and he plays like them. Cool expression, effortless like breathing, but with emotion coming from the guitar. Chris is a creative insomniac. He gets a melody in his head right before falling asleep, (this is how I write) and can't sleep until it's worked out.

Jeff
Jeff is a drummer. I'll be really honest and tell you I've spent the least amount of time in his instrument. I love the drums, but I know next to nothing about them. However. He plays, generally speaking, loud. But there's a tribal beat to his sound and it's not at all punk. I hear Stephen Perkins and that sounds about right to me. Or Will Goldsmith on The Fire Theft album.

Skipping Seven
As a whole, when I envision the band, they're very much The Fire Theft to me. You're surprised right? You didn't think I was a fan, did you? Although, when I describe SS's albums, I did so while listening to Sunny Day Real Estate. Again, you're surprised. But anyway, I listened to "Diary" when describing SS's "Just A Little Rain," "LP2" (or "The Pink Album"- however you call it) when describing "Throw Your Stones" and "How It Feels To Be Something On" when describing the third album (which I'm finding I never titled- strangely, their fourth album is though). I listened for tone, generally, but when describing the new songs on the third album (in WCP) two of the songs are my interpretation of "Roses In Water" and "Two Promises."

That's all.

xo. kb.

No comments:

Post a Comment